To take a photo, you pick up a camera, point, and shoot. But to take a great photo – the kind that’s vivid, lifelike, and magical – you need to consider obscure factors like the exposure, the angle, color relationships, the composition, and the timing.
Essentially, developing photography skills requires practice, effort, and knowledge. It’s why professionals exist, and why you may need to hire one. Here’s what you need to know about picking up a professional photographer below:
Do you really need a professional photographer?
It’s always a good idea to get help if you need important events covered. Here are some reasons why a professional may be worth your time and hard-earned money:
1. They have experience
When you need high-quality photos, you have to consider everything from the background to the reflections (and the other factors we mentioned above). This is something that only experience can teach you, which the right professional has in spades.
2. They have good equipment
The best photography equipment is expensive to purchase or rent, not to mention you need to know the brand inside and out. Also, professional photographers come with added equipment like cases of lighting, backdrop, editing stations, and sometimes a support team.
3. You can be in the photos
It’s something that bears mentioning – when you take photos, you can’t be in them yourself! Whether you’re covering a personal occasion or corporate event, you may need the reminders later.
4. They can take care of post-production
What happens after you take photos? People routinely put them on print or turn them into a digital album, and sometimes you have to photoshop them. There are countless other minor and major details to consider.
5. It’s convenient
Lugging a camera and associated equipment around is hard work, especially if you have to do it for hours or days on end. Having someone else do it for you is easy and convenient, on the other hand.
6. You only have one opportunity to get it right
Last but not least, there is no rewind button on time. Having a professional take photos for events and other marketing opportunities can give you peace of mind and excellent results.
Events you’ll need a professional photographer for
- Corporate events: Using a professional photographer to record your events like meetings, conferences, dinners, and shows is beneficial in various ways. It boosts your credibility, gives you material for marketing campaigns, and helps your company culture.
- Commercial reasons: If you run a small business like a retail store or if you happen to be a fashion entrepreneur, you need lifelike photos. Customers make snap purchase decisions, as well as judgments about your brand, based on what they see. A commercial photographer can capture high-quality images of your products that focus on particular design features.
Keep this in mind when finding a photographer
When you’re hiring a photographer, you must exercise caution and good judgment. A bad hire could be a waste of time and money – or, worse, spoil your precious memories. Account for these factors before settling on one:
- Specialization: Just like doctors, photographers have specializations. Some examples are corporate events, product shoots, fashion, and interiors.
- Past work: Every professional worth their salt has an extensive portfolio. Make sure you leaf through it.
- Personality and work ethic: You want someone who you can get along with and who sees things the way you do. Also, work ethic is important – photography is hard work, as PH Learn attests, and requires great attention to detail.
- Access to photography resources: Check if the photographer has the latest equipment and access to post-production resources. Sometimes you may need to hire a whole crew.
- The legalities: Lastly, usage rights and copyright laws apply. You may have to license the images for commercial use, which an experienced photographer can guide you through. There will be contracts to sign, which you should read carefully.
- The logistics: Finally, the scope of the project, the timeline, and the costs involved should be kept in mind. A good photographer will ask you a bunch of questions to nail down the details.
For the best results, shop around and talk to a few photographers before committing to someone. Check to see if they have online reviews to get an idea of how good they are, what they’re capable of, and generally to determine if they’re a right fit for you.
Image via Unsplash